There are two types of passwords in file backup desktop/server editions: an account password and an encryption password.
- There is one account password per backup account.
- Allows access into the backup account.
- Can be changed – however it’s not recommended the account password be changed unless there is a very good reason, since the account password will then differ from the backup set(s) encryption password, which cannot be changed.
- There is one encryption password per backup set
- Allows decryption of backup data within backup set
- File backup desktop only has one backup set, server edition can have multiple backup sets.
- The encryption password cannot be changed once the backup set has been created.
- By default the account password is used as the encryption password when creating a backup set.
- The encryption password is cached locally on the machine (under the backup profile location) so that automated backups can run without prompting for the password.
- If the encryption password is forgotten it can ONLY be retrieved from your existing software installation for both the desktop edition and server edition.