If you have forgotten your password but still have access to a computer where CyberSecure is installed, you can retrieve the stored password from the client software. This is the recommended method of retrieving the password if it’s forgotten or unknown.
If the account was setup on a separate computer and the hard drive contents can still be accessed, simply retrieve the “config.sys” file from the “C:\%USERPROFILE%\.obm\config” folder and copy onto the new machine. This file contains the cached encryption and account passwords.
Process for recovering the encryption password from an existing ADVANCED edition installation
- Open CyberSecure Advanced by right-clicking the system tray icon and choosing “Open”
- Open the Backup Settings by clicking the “Cog” icon
- Select the desired backup set, then choose “Encryption settings”
- On the right-hand side, uncheck “Mask Password”
- You will now be able to view the ENCRYPTION password for that backup set.
Note that each backup set could potentially have a different encryption password, so it’s a good idea to check each backup set.
- If you receive the “Trial registration” screen when opening the software, it’s because you are using a different local user account than was originally setup under.