The last backup jobs of *.stm (none) and *.edb (YYYY-MM-DD-hh-mm-ss) don’t match for database ‘SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store’
For MS Exchange server backup, *.stm and *.edb file are backed up in pair. If the error message above is received, it implies that during a previous backup, there was a problem with either the *.stm or *.edb file.
- Check back through the detailed reports to find the backup job where the EDB file was detected as being deleted.
- Go into the file explorer and UNDELETE the EDB from that job – this will restore the EDB file back into the “current” data area.
- Once the EDB has appeared back in the data area, to be safe, kick off a file validation to recreate the checksum files and validate the data.
- Ensure that the file validation is complete.
- Clear out the local temporary spooling folder.
- Finally perform an offsite MS Exchange server backup with default settings.
- The EDB should not need to be uploaded in it’s entirety, however a reseeding operation may be required if there are complications with restoring the EDB from the retention area.