The error: “[Shadow Copy] Snapshot for Shadow Copy Set is missing, backup
terminate.” is seen in the backup report and logs.
The most common causes of this error are:
- The computer has gone to sleep or the disk drives have been powered down during the backup.
- There is a lower-level problem with the physical disk or VSS subsystem.
- Some other backup software is creating/destroying volume shadow copies during the backup.
- Ensure that the computer power modes have been set to not sleep the computer or power down the disk drives.
- Check the Windows Event Log for any warnings or errors from the “Disk” source. Also check the output from vssadmin list writers and ensure that all VSS writers are in a stable state.
- Ensure that no other backup software is running or shadow copies are being created at the time of the backup.