Enable MS-SQL server to listen on IP addresses
- Open SQL server configuration manager
- Click into “Protocols for <SQL_INSTANCE>”
- Right-click TCP/IP and choose Properties (ensure it’s set to enabled)
- Click into the “IP Addresses” tab
- There will be a section for each IP address that the machine has – including for the “localhost” address and also for IPv6 addresses
- Go through and “Enable” all the IP addresses that are needed.
- If you don’t know the correct local IP address, a simple “ping <servername>” will determine which IP address your current machine resolves to when referring to it by it’s hostname
- If unsure, consult a SQL or network professional to assist before making any changes.
- Click OK
- Restart the SQL server via services or the “SQL server services” item in the configuration manager.