Recovering a SQL database
- The recovery of a SQL database backed up by ShadowProtect is very straight forward. The basic procedure is as follows.
- Determine the point in time you wish to recover to and mount the required ShadowProtect image(s)
- Within SQL Server Management Studio take offline the database concerned
- Delete both the database data and log files from disk
- Copy both the database data and log files out of the mounted ShadowProtect image(s) to the previous location
- Within SQL Server Management Studio bring online the database concerned
- Unmount the ShadowProtect image(s)
- That is it. If in step 4 you wished to relocate the database data and log files to another disk on the host, a slightly different procedure is required. This is explained in detail in SQL Books Online at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345483(v=sql.105).aspx.